Hink for Ladies by MaeT











{April 9, 2009}   Finished?

frontOkay, so I “finished” my dress last night. That’s in quotes for 2 reasons, 1) I still have to hem the bottom and 2) as with most sleevles dress/shirts for bigger women, the arm holes are cut WAY TOO BIG!!!  Why the hell do they do that?  Do they think we WANT our bras hanging out??  Seriously, the arm holes extend below where my bra is.  I’m not really sure how to fix it.  Normally I’d take it to my friend Kate to help me, but I have a Seder dinner tonight, Good Friday worship tomorrow and early Saturday we’re heading to Louisville for Easter.  I may try to do it myself, but I’m worried I’ll ruin the dress since I don’t know how to fix it really.  Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

Until then, here are some more pictures!

fabric1This is the fabric all laid out before I cut it…it really is a neat pattern.  I wasn’t terribly thrilled with it when I bought it, as I didn’t have many choices at the store for prints, but it really grew on me 😀

hole Here is the hole I expertly burnt into the fabric when I put the iron on it on it’s highest setting.  Live and learn!  The hole is pretty close to the seam, so hopefully no one will notice it.  Also, the iron managed to “cauterize” the hole in a way, as the edges were burnt so that I don’t think it’ll get any bigger than it is now…I hope…

backAnd here is a shot of the back of the dress.  I was trying to be funny and “model” while I was in it.  My husband graciously took the photos, but most of them you could see my bra through the ginormous arm holes, so I’m not going to put them up and spare all of your eyes from seeing that, oh, and I haven’t shaved in a while, so I’m also sparing you my hairy armpits!  You’re welcome.  😀



{April 2, 2009}   A new project…

I’m finally sewing again!

Every Easter Sunday morning I go to my closet and am disappointed that there is never a new Easter dress in there.   I then spend the next half hour wearing nothing but my under-roos and pantyhose, sitting on the bed pouting that I have nothing to wear.  I’ve decided to end that this year and am making an Easter dress to avoid my naked escapades – especially since I’ll be at my brother-in-laws house, and I don’t think his family would enjoy that too much!

To this end, I’m using a pattern I bought on sale at Hancock months ago: Butterick 5001

b5001

I’m making the sleeveless version of the dress, because I hate 3/4 sleeves and short sleeves.  I’ll only wear cap sleeves, long sleeves or no sleeves.  Unfortunatly, for the first time, Hancock Fabrics failed me in the fabric department!  This pattern has to be made with Matte Jersey or another Knit style of fabric.  Hancock only had solids in that type of fabric, and in eye blinding bright colors.  I decided neon yellow solid was not right for me, or for Easter Sunday at church!

I ended up going to Joann Fabrics to see what they had.  Once again, not much.  They did have prints, but only about 5 or 6, and I didn’t like the prints at all and they were not very “easter-y”.  I found one that would have worked, but it was $18 a yard!!  I only need 2 1/2 yds for this dress, but that’s just rediculous.  I ended up finding 2 on the sale rack that I liked, and actually, I also found the blue print shown above in the 3/4 sleeve version!  But I wanted something a bit more spring like.  I ended up going with this print:

fabric

Kind of reminds me of a monarch butterfly…it’s not as bright as I wanted, but it’ll have to do.  It was $8 a yard, so after buying the pattern, thread, “stay tape” (which I had never heard of and had to have the nice lady at Hancock show me where it was) and fabric the dress will cost me just a bit over $25!!  I could not go out and buy a nice dress that cheap so I’m pretty happy over all.

Last night I started working on a muslin mock up of the dress.  This is the first thing I’m making for myself.  I’m not really sure how the measurements and sizing work yet, so I wanted to make a practice dress first before I cut up the expensive stuff and it ends up looking awful and not fitting.  I burnt my finger on the iron (ouch!) and had to stop sewing around 9:30, as I have basement neighbors, but I got the whole top done.  Tonight hopefully I can get the skirt done and put it all together.  I don’t have any pictures, but I’ll try to get some up once the mock up is done.  If the muslin ends of fitting okay, then I’ll get started on the real thing on Saturday!  That pattern is very easy to follow and it sews up pretty quick, so I’m confident I’ll have it done well before Friday when I have to pack to go to Louisville, KY.  I’ll keep you all (4 or 5 of you) updated on the process!



et cetera