Hink for Ladies by MaeT











{December 4, 2009}   My First “Commission”

Hey all (and by all, I mean…my husband?) I know, I’ve not update even though I said I would. But I’m here now, that should count for something?

I’ve completed my first paid project! I made myself a very cute wrap dress for Easter last year, and ever since my friend Sally has wanted one. So, we found some amazing fabric at JoAnn’s and I got it on sale, because I’m like that:

It’s REALLY cute fabric!!  Jersey Knit, so a pain in the ass to sew with, but makes really nice clothes!  So got the fabric, cut out the pieces, and then Thanksgiving hit!  My husband and I hosted family from both sides, so it was hectic with planning, cleaning, cooking, cleaning and hosting.  It was a great time though and I’m so happy everyone made it!

So after the Thanksgiving rush, I was finally able to get down to business and make the dress:

It turned out really well I think!!  I sent it out in the mail today, so hopefully she will get it early next week!  It helped a lot that I had made this pattern before and worked with this type of fabric so I knew better what I could and couldn’t do!  I’m also really hoping that it fits!  Guess we’ll find out…once I get a pic from her, I’ll post that up as well!

I also finally finished my Harry Potter dress and wore it for Halloween.  I was Helena Ravenclaw:

It’s mostly finished anyway…it ended up being too big when I tried it all on!  So, my friend Trish and I did some quick fix tailoring and used some fashion tape to keep it up on Halloween night.  At some point in the future I’ll have to take the bodice apart to really bring it in, but for now it works.  I gotta say though, those sleeves were a B*TCH to put together and figure out! 😀



{April 15, 2009}   And now…Harry Potter!

harry-potter-0036A few weeks back I put up this post about a dress I’d be making for the Harry Potter Convention, LeakyCon2009.  Now that Easter is over and I’ve finished that dress, I can focus on my new project!  Tonight my friend Abbey and I (who is also going to the convention and making a Slytherin colored dress) are going fabric shopping for our dresses!  Thanks to the wonderfulness of Hancock Fabrics, I have coupons galore to use tonight!  Also I signed up for the JoAnn Fabric mailing list and got a coupon for them, so hopefully all this fabric won’t cost me an arm and a leg!  I’ll also be picking up some notions for a present I’m making, so I have another project but won’t put it up until the gift has been recieved.  I’ll try to put up some pics tomorrow of tonights goods!  Hope you are all sewing well…Peace!



{April 2, 2009}   A new project…

I’m finally sewing again!

Every Easter Sunday morning I go to my closet and am disappointed that there is never a new Easter dress in there.   I then spend the next half hour wearing nothing but my under-roos and pantyhose, sitting on the bed pouting that I have nothing to wear.  I’ve decided to end that this year and am making an Easter dress to avoid my naked escapades – especially since I’ll be at my brother-in-laws house, and I don’t think his family would enjoy that too much!

To this end, I’m using a pattern I bought on sale at Hancock months ago: Butterick 5001

b5001

I’m making the sleeveless version of the dress, because I hate 3/4 sleeves and short sleeves.  I’ll only wear cap sleeves, long sleeves or no sleeves.  Unfortunatly, for the first time, Hancock Fabrics failed me in the fabric department!  This pattern has to be made with Matte Jersey or another Knit style of fabric.  Hancock only had solids in that type of fabric, and in eye blinding bright colors.  I decided neon yellow solid was not right for me, or for Easter Sunday at church!

I ended up going to Joann Fabrics to see what they had.  Once again, not much.  They did have prints, but only about 5 or 6, and I didn’t like the prints at all and they were not very “easter-y”.  I found one that would have worked, but it was $18 a yard!!  I only need 2 1/2 yds for this dress, but that’s just rediculous.  I ended up finding 2 on the sale rack that I liked, and actually, I also found the blue print shown above in the 3/4 sleeve version!  But I wanted something a bit more spring like.  I ended up going with this print:

fabric

Kind of reminds me of a monarch butterfly…it’s not as bright as I wanted, but it’ll have to do.  It was $8 a yard, so after buying the pattern, thread, “stay tape” (which I had never heard of and had to have the nice lady at Hancock show me where it was) and fabric the dress will cost me just a bit over $25!!  I could not go out and buy a nice dress that cheap so I’m pretty happy over all.

Last night I started working on a muslin mock up of the dress.  This is the first thing I’m making for myself.  I’m not really sure how the measurements and sizing work yet, so I wanted to make a practice dress first before I cut up the expensive stuff and it ends up looking awful and not fitting.  I burnt my finger on the iron (ouch!) and had to stop sewing around 9:30, as I have basement neighbors, but I got the whole top done.  Tonight hopefully I can get the skirt done and put it all together.  I don’t have any pictures, but I’ll try to get some up once the mock up is done.  If the muslin ends of fitting okay, then I’ll get started on the real thing on Saturday!  That pattern is very easy to follow and it sews up pretty quick, so I’m confident I’ll have it done well before Friday when I have to pack to go to Louisville, KY.  I’ll keep you all (4 or 5 of you) updated on the process!



et cetera