Hink for Ladies by MaeT











{April 8, 2009}   Update on my project…

swo_157cSo I have been working on my dress. And here is the saga:

1) As previously mentioned, I was working on a muslin version first, as this is the first thing I’ve made for me and I wanted to make sure I got the sizing right. Boy am I glad I did that! I finish the muslin mock up, went to put the damn thing on and couldn’t get it down over my ginormous boobs. Man those things are always in the way! Now, I can’t remember if I stated this already, but I had 2 copies of this pattern accidentally. I tend to stock up on patterns when they are on uber sale at Hancock and I’d bought this pattern two separate times on two separate sales. Unfortunately, I had purchased the same size both times, so I had to go and buy the damn thing AGAIN in a bigger size! ANGRY EYES! Luckily, again, Hancock is amazing and Butterick was on sale for 99 cents a pattern! Huzzah!

2) Okay, so got the next size pattern, found the size I needed and began the process of cutting and sewing again. This time the muslin fit (even though I had sewn pieces together in the wrong places and the seams on the top were messed up – 2 inside the dress, 2 outside the dress). It was just a mock up so it didn’t need to be perfect.

3) Now have set to the task of making the actual dress. It’s matte jersey and difficult to work with. Also, lesson learned the hard way – don’t set your iron on the highest setting and put it on matte jersey. It burns a hole in your nice beautiful fabric.  Balls. Hopefully the hole will not be too noticeable, as it is right by where the seam will be and it’s pretty small. Still very angry I did that though. Ended up doing the rest of the ironing on a low setting and put some muslin on top of it. My husband suggested the muslin bit, and I thank him for it!

4) The pattern calls for a “narrow hem” on the neckline, arm holes and bottom of the dress. Let me tell you, it’s a pain to do on muslin and worse on matte jersey. You basically end up ironing and hemming the same bit of fabric 3 times. The matte jersey does not liked to be ironed, it won’t stay down. I’m using lots of pins to hold it.

5) Okay, so I finally go the neck line hemming done and went to so the top bits all together. There is some gathering on the cross over top pieces to give it a “wrap dress” type of look. Easy enough. So I do all that, pin it all together and sew the first hem. You have to “double stitch” all seams (sew the seam allowance, then 1/4″ over sew again). I’m assuming this is because of the fabric I’m working with. So, not only are all the hems ironed and folded 3 times, the seams are sewn twice! I do the right side, both times. Then realize that I had just put the damn seam on the OUTSIDE of the dress instead of the INSIDE. Again I say – Balls. This was at about 9:45 pm last night and I decided at that point to just leave it and fix it tonight. I did manage to rip the first seam this morning before work though to save me some time tonight.

6) All in all, I really am enjoying this dress, don’t get me wrong! I’ve had a lot of crappy misfortune, but the pattern is very easy and there are only 5 pieces and 2 of them are the skirt that you just stitch up the sides and then attach to the top. All of the main work goes into the top. I have a few pictures and *fingers crossed* I’ll be able to show the finished project by tomorrow!

Advertisements


et cetera